Green Building is simply a way of life for us.
We know that green Building is about stewardship: of resources, of finances, and of the environment. At Degnan Design Builders, Inc., the principals of stewardship are part of our core values, so Green Building is a natural part of our process.
We approach Green Building in three ways: through our Business Practices, through the decision making process with our clients, and in our personal decisions.
- Cardboard Recycling and proper debris disposal
- Job site toilet provision if facilities are not available
- Erosion control and tracking prevention from the site
- Building code compliance
- Inclusion of landscaping in most contracts
- Helping Clients to weigh the costs
- We build with Focus on Energy’s New Homes Program, and implement Home Performance with ENERGY STAR consultations into remodeling. We verify and quantify our performance with pre and post testing.
- We recommend high efficiency furnaces and air conditioners that are over and above codes, using ECM furnace blowers, 14 SEER air conditioners, or even super-efficient heat pumps.
- We recommend future-proofing by including solar energy and renewable-ready measures in your project as the budget allows.
- We work with professional resources to capture subsidies and tax credits when available
- We design homes efficiently—efficient use of space, energy, and of resources—for a lower total cost of operation.
- We help you choose locally produced or sustainably harvested building materials that have less impact.
Families incorporating our suggestions have homes that…
- …prevent mold growth. This is accomplished with our intelligent wall system, exterior foundation insulation, and under-slab insulation for basement floors.
- …have proper mechanical ventilation, including fresh air make-up, air-to-air exchangers, whole house dehumidification, and ultra-quiet bathroom ventilation fans. We say “Build tight, ventilate right.”
- …have the option of central vacuum systems to control dust.
- …have high efficiency air filtration systems installed on furnaces and air conditioning.
- …use ECM blowers of the furnace that can run continuously, slowly, and quietly to filter air and reduce dust in your home.
- We work with written Trade Contractor Agreements and Scopes of Work to ensure that quality, recycling and other performance standards are met.
- We choose geographically local jobs when possible, and local trade contractors when appropriate.
- We choose vehicles that are appropriate to our business and family needs while taking efficiency into account.